Tumblr Grapes Are Easy to Acquire and Easy to Eat

NEW BLOG SITE

Well, afterward a year of existence on Tumblr, I take decided to movement to Wordpress. I needed to have a flake more control over how my blog looked and make it easier to navigate so hither is my new blog:

www.aspoonfulofsugarblog.com

I promise you'll keep reading it!

20

DSTRKT, LONDON

I starting time ate at DSTRKT in Apr (http://aspoonful-of-sugar.tumblr.com/post/21780299968/dstrkt-london) and had a fabled night with my friends Paul and Heath. We were impeccably looked after by the maître d' Guillermo and decided there and so that we would return for my altogether.

And then a couple of weeks ago, nosotros returned. Unfortunately Guillermo was no longer there (although he did text me to wish me a happy birthday which I thought was incredibly thoughtful) and I must say, nosotros all missed him. The waiter and waitress nosotros had serving united states were both lovely and pleasant but the level of service was a tad defective since Guillermo's divergence. Saying that, the hostess for the evening couldn't have been nicer or more than helpful.

When we saturday down, Paul and I immediately asked if nosotros could substitute our starting time grade of Maldon rock oyster for something else. Paul said he couldn't bear to scout me try to consume another oyster! (see my terminal review). They were fine with this and gave us venison tartare instead. Albeit information technology the size of a thumbnail.

image
image

It was very nice, just literally gone in one mouthful. Next came the yellowish fin tuna cubes with soy air and avocado mousse.

image

I loved this when I had it the outset time but I felt slightly disappointed in it this time. Something wasn't quite correct. There was a very strong tasting droplet of olive oil on the plate and it overpowered the flavour of the tuna. Paul and I took our bites at the aforementioned time and immediately looked at each other with puzzled expressions. It was definitely non as good equally last time.

Then came the seared Scottish scallops with English pea puree, olive oil powder and preserved lemon.

image

Beautiful and sweet scallops, perfectly cooked with the incredibly fresh sense of taste of peas and zesty lemon. Lovely.

Next information technology was Saudi prawns with charred scallions oil. Sweet and meaty, this was delicious.

image

And so came a dish we had (and loved) last time…grilled flatbread salad with macadamia nut pesto.

image
image

This was as good every bit we remembered. Peppery rocket, soft goats cheese, punchy olives, soft sweetness peppers and tomatoes all contrasting beautifully with the crunchy flatbread. I loved this.

Then the chief event…the Scottish rib heart steak, sliced and cooked to perfection, served with a Talisker whisky sauce.

image
image

To back-trail this, a pot of wild mushroom, fresh herbs and madacadmia nuts, with an egg nestled on acme. When the waitress removed the chapeau of the pot, she broke the yolk and mixed it into the mushrooms.

image

Wow! This was beautiful. Tender, juicy, melt in the mouth beef and earthy, nutty wild mushrooms. Stunning. The add-on of the egg yolk really added to the richness of the mushrooms. This was an incredible dish.

image

Meanwhile, Heath, who is vegetarian, and joined us mid-meal, ordered the truffle potato gnocchi with cheddar espuma. I wasn't really paying much attention to it until I heard what can only be described equally orgasmic noises coming from Paul. He had tried a bite of Heath'south gnocchi and his eyes were about to pop out of his head. So of course, my fork immediately plant its mode to Heath's plate. Cue the same noises and heart-popping. This was A M A Z I N G !!

So even though Paul and I were eating off the tasting menu, nosotros ordered an additional serving of truffle gnocchi to share and add to our already expanding waistline!

image

Totally worth it though. The gnocchi were slightly crispy on the exterior then I call back they must have fried it subsequently having cooked it. This was a lovely bear on. Sometimes I observe gnocchi a bit bland in both texture and taste but these were stunning. The truffle and cheddar sauce was divine. Light and foamy in texture but rich and deep in flavour. I call back this was the dish of the dark.

image

Then it was time for pudding. The first plate was Chocolate S'mores…cider sabayon, chocolate custard and Gram Cracker crumble, with some toasted marshmallow cubes.

image

And ice cream…I recall it was blackcurrant and vanilla. I'chiliad non entirely sure. (I'd had a LOT of wine by this stage!)

image

I was a bit underwhelmed by the pudding to be completely honest. It just felt like lot of different ingredients placed on a plate without it really meeting.

Overall, we had a lovely dark but we missed Guillermo. Besides, the food was still coming out of the kitchen rather quickly and I would accept appreciated more time to savor my wine. As it was, I felt like I was playing catch upward all night. And when the wines are supposed to match each dish, that isn't ideal.

Certain dishes stood out…the truffle gnocchi in particular, while others failed to deliver…the tuna cubes and the dessert. Just we all the same had a great repast, although it didn't shine like our concluding repast.

In terms of the service, we had to go on a constant look out for the waiter in guild to get his attention. However, when he was with us, he was very friendly. Just not quite as attentive every bit Guillermo had been on our last visit.

DSTRKT is a restaurant and a club and the nighttime nosotros were there was the same nighttime Hackney Weekend kicked off, and a few of the stars of that were expected to be partying at DSTRKT after that night including Jay Z, Rihanna and Rita Ora. So by the cease of our repast, the place was really filling upwardly. We decided to move into the club after our meal but we were told we would have to walk back up to the front door, pay £xx each and get a postage stamp. Hmmmm…we'd already paid virtually £100 each for our nutrient and so paying another £xx each to literally pass through a curtain and beverage just a few feet from our tabular array was a tad galling.

We did pay to go into the club but only stayed for ane drink and decided to move on to another club to dance the nighttime away.

I really like DSTRKT'southward nutrient and they take some fantabulous wine merely I'm not sure if I would become back. Perchance for the a la carte menu as opposed to the tasting menu. And actually, I think I'd climb over my dead Grandmother to go to that truffle gnocchi again! For that, I would render.

COMFORT PASTA…AUBERGINE PESTO WITH TRUFFLE CHEESE!

image

Saturday was i of those days where I'd planned to do a lot of 'stuff'. Y'all know…become for a run, go to a market place, do odd jobs in my flat etc. Unfortunately I veered mode off form on Friday night and drank too much wine, too chop-chop. This rendered Saturday a write-off. I'one thousand non very expert at handling my wine…or my hangovers!

So, at near 1pm on Saturday I crawled out of bed, holding my head in my easily and feeling very deplorable for myself. I knew I needed to eat something merely I just couldn't do it. I had some tea. I had some water. I went back to bed.

At 3pm I start to feel very shaky and knew I admittedly had to eat something. I was going out again that night (glutton for penalization) and I had to line my stomach. 'Pasta' was the word that kept popping up in my caput…MUST-EAT-PASTA!

I needed something to make me experience better. It needed to be quick, piece of cake, depression maintenance but also something really, really tasty.

I opened my kitchen cupboard and found exactly what I was looking for…my favourite closet ingredient…aubergine pesto.

image

I tend to stock up on this when I see it. Information technology isn't equally like shooting fish in a barrel to become hold off equally it once was. Sainsbury'southward seemed to take stopped stocking information technology, so when I'yard in Waitrose, I buy six or seven jars at a fourth dimension so I don't run out.

Its the perfect jar to take in your cupboard. Its elementary to stir through pasta, you lot can spread it on puff pastry sheets and make palmiers… http://bit.ly/OirY5H. Its only a great thing to have to mitt.

I looked around my kithchen and saw a punnet of chestnut mushrooms, a red onion and a packet of cashew nuts. I was practiced to become! I dropped some conchiglie (shell-shaped) pasta in some salted, simmering water and fried upwards the mushrooms and onions in some oil and butter. Once they were cooked, I added a handful of the cashew nuts. I like conchiglie pasta considering information technology collects lilliputian pockets of the sauce its mixed with. In this case, it as well collected cashew basics!

12 minutes afterward, I drained the pasta, tossed it into the frying pan with the mushrooms, onions and nuts, then stirred through half the jar of aubergine pesto. Once it was mixed through, I plated it upwards.

And so, whilst I was hunting through my fridge for the parmesan cheese, I noticed a huge chunk of truffle Gouda, which I'd bought in Amsterdam the week before…

image

This is really quite a spectacular cheese. One of the best I've ever tasted. Its soft and flossy yet the truffle flavor is so pungent, its intoxicating. Surely this would be improve than tedious old parmesan? Indeed it was! It was heaven!

The smoky aubergine, the earthy mushrooms, the crunchy cashews, all caressed with the soft, melted pungent truffle cheese.

This would have been bully on a normal twenty-four hours, but at 3pm on a hungover Saturday, when all I wanted was a hug, it was similar mind-bravado. It was like a warm hug of comforting, smoky, cheesy, truffly goodness. And it was all washed in 15 minutes!

image

image

MARIT'S HUISKAMERRESTAURANT, AMSTERDAM

When I decided I wanted to become to Amsterdam to gloat my altogether this year, I knew I wanted to go somewhere special to eat the night of my birthday.

Luckily for me, my wonderful friend Cassie told me to look in the current issue of Grazia Magazine (at the time). In information technology, was a feature on a new supperclub in Amsterdam. No, not the Supperclub, this was a restaurant run by Marit Beemster, who had turned her back on her career as a designer for Tommy Hilfiger and had decided to set up a restaurant in her own livingroom….Marit'due south Huiskamerrestaurant.

Marit is vegetarian and was getting increasingly frustrated at the lack of practiced vegetarian restaurants in Amsterdam. She realised that she could cook better meals for herself at home than she could observe in any restaurant and then she figured that other people might like her cooking likewise!

At present, I'one thousand non vegetarian but over the last couple of years I take constitute myself eating less and less meat. I often find myself ordering the vegetarian choice on eating place menus. Even when I go to Lucky Flake, the best burger joint in London (http://bit.ly/KYKw6I), I order their vegetarian burger (which is astonishing by the fashion, y'all must endeavour it). This is non to say I have abandoned meat altogether. I still love chorizo and salami and parma ham…really, I love pork. But I don't really eat lamb or beefiness anymore. When I brand a curry I tend to make information technology with potatoes, onions and peppers. In fact, sometimes when I think back, I realise that I've non had whatever meat for days without trying. Anyway, I'grand going off rails a bit. I didn't volume information technology because it was a vegetarian restaurant, I booked it considering I liked the look of it. However, when I mentioned it to my meat-loving friends, they said they may accept to sneak a salami into their bags to aid tide them over!

So on Saturday night we headed Due east, to Oosterparkbuurt, and pulled up in a lovely leafy street. The front of Marit's home actually looks like a shop front.

image

Equally we walked in, nosotros were warmly greeted by the waitress and showed to our table. The restaurant was full. With usa, there were 20 people dining at that place. Equally nosotros sat down, Marit's beautiful dog Tilly came to say hello! This really reinforced the fact that we were indeed in someone's dwelling house.

image

The space is beautiful, warm and homely. The furniture is mis-matched and antiquey, there are bowls of limes and stunning arrangements of flowers dotted around the room.

image
image
image
image

Looking to the dorsum, you tin see her living area with a sofa, arm chairs and a Television receiver. French doors pb off the living area into a garden out the back. Above us is her bedroom, her kitchen is off the living area.

image

Marits has an impressive wine list. We ordered a canteen of Prosecco to showtime and then Marit came over to say howdy to us and explain the ethos of the eatery. She explained that we would exist having a 3-course vegetarian menu fabricated with ingredients which were sourced locally. We had a choice from a pick of starters, the primary meal was fixed, and we had a choice of desserts.

image

We ordered our starters and a few minutes later nosotros were given a amuse bouche of roasted fig stuffed with goats cheese. A delicious way to first the meal.

image
image

The starter I opted for was a salad of mixed leaves, rocket, orange slices, tomato berries, grapes and topped with two slices of sheeps cheese. This was drizzled in a honey and mustard dressing.

image
image

This was one of the near delicious salads I've tasted in a long time. The smooth creaminess of the cheese tasted incredible with the juicy, citrusy orange. And with the sweet love apple berries literally bursting in my rima oris, this was like a dish total of Summer. The flavours were so fresh and zesty, and mixed with the honey and mustard dressing, it was divine. Am I describing this enough? I loved it. I wish you lot could all try it.

Faiza opted for the pea and ricotta ravioli.

image

I didn't go for this as I'd had ravioli the night before. However, tasting Faiza's dish, this was far, far better ravioli than I'd eaten at Lab 111 (http://bit.ly/MFTeF4). Deliciously calorie-free pasta and the filling was so fresh, you could actually taste the peas. Lovely.

Our main form was an endive and spinach tart with melted cheese on the tiptop. Also on the plate was roasted aubergine with tomato berries, and a fennel and lemon salad.

image
image

Accompanying this were bowls of roasted potatoes with rosemary…

image

And plates of mixed tomatoes – beefiness, plum and cherry tomatoes, topped with buffalo ricotta.

image
image

How cute does this plate of nutrient look?

image

The tart was delicious. Breaking through the crisp, buttery pastry, y'all're met with the soft, tangy endive. The roasted aubergines were perfectly charred and the fennel salad….well, that was a surprise. I really hate the taste of anise and so I steer clear of fennel at all times. Just this was lovely. In that location was enough lemon through it that it just tasted crisp and zesty and citrusy, and not at all like fennel. Event! The sweet tomatoes with the smooth, flossy were a delight.

I adored this meal. It was fresh and light, yet hearty and filling. I think a lot of people believe vegetarian food isn't filling and they're going to exist left wanting if they don't have any meat. But Faiza, who is a pretty heavily defended meat lover said she was pleasantly surprised by how filling and satisfying the meal was and she hadn't missed the meat at all. (Faiza actually had a plate of beef carpaccio at lunchtime to 'upward' her meat factor since she knew she'd be having a vegetarian dinner!)

Side by side, it was fourth dimension for pudding. There was only one slice of chocolate cake left and luckily, I managed to nab it! And Marit very kindly added a birthday candle to it.

image
image

Rich, dark, luscious chocolate cake topped with raspberries. My favourite combination. Perfect!

The rest of the girls opted for white chocolate mousse, served with rhubarb and strained yoghurt with lavender stirred through information technology.

image

This was a triumph. The girls were pretty full by this indicate and couldn't finish all of their desserts. Luckily, my tum has had more practise than theirs, and my spoon rapidly found its way into all of their glasses and finished off the remains of their mousses. I actually loved this dessert. The white chocolate mousse was perfectly sweet and light as air. The rhubarb added a touch of sharpness to it and then the lavander hit you. Not too hard, only the right corporeality. Lavender isn't used very often in cooking so it's a nice surprise. If used likewise heavily information technology tin taste soapy but Marit had managed to use just the right amount.

This is actually my kind of identify. I loved Marit's home, I loved her furniture, her crockery, her food…everything. I was initially slightly worried that sitting in someone else'south living room might be a bit bad-mannered simply information technology was nothing like that at all. It was homely and comfortable and I loved having her dog wandering around throughout the night. Although she kept trying to win the affections of my friend Faiza who is not really a canis familiaris lover! She disguised it well though.

image

Talking to Marit at the cease of the dark, she explained how she had started this restaurant merely a few months ago and how much happier she is now. It certainly made me question whether I should be doing the job I practice as opposed to the job I really desire to practice. The inspiration to follow your centre was then tangible, it really fabricated it experience possible.

Marit runs her eatery from her home iii days a week, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. If yous are planning a trip to Amsterdam, please go check it out. The five of the states loved it and didn't miss meat at all. Go on…give it a go.

Marit'south Huiskamerrestaurant
Andreas Bonnstraat 34H
1091BA, Amsterdam

tel: +31 207763864
www.maritshuiskamerrestaurant.nl
info@maritshuiskamerrestaurant.nl

Cheese heaven, Amsterdam.

Walking around Amsterdam, I couldn't believe how many astonishing cheese shops there are. Every street I walked down unearthed another cheese treasure-trove. Sky!

LAB 111, AMSTERDAM

Final year I wasn't looking frontwards to my birthday AT ALL so I decided that the only way to cheer myself up would be to have myself to New York. It worked! I had the most fantastic altogether ever. Whilst there, I made the conclusion that every altogether from now on would be celebrated internationally. And then this yr, I decided that my friends and I would go to Amsterdam for a long weekend.

image

I admire Amsterdam. I would move in that location in a heartbeat if I was able to practice my job there. It is the coolest, about stylish, classy, beautiful cities I have e'er been to. And luckily for me, its just a fifty infinitesimal flying from London.

I knew I wanted to have quite a relaxed, chilled weekend. I've been to Amsterdam before and then I'd done all the usual touristy things such as visiting Anne Frank's house, the museums, gunkhole trips etc. This time I just wanted to hang out in Jordaan with my friends, meandering downward the canals, popping into any cheese/chocolate store nosotros happen to pass, and stopping off for a bite to eat, a coffee or drinking glass/bottle of wine and lookout the globe go by.

As you know, I am somewhat obsessed with food and then that was clearly going to be my focal point for this trip. I had decided where I wanted to eat on my actual altogether simply still didn't know where I was going to go on the Friday night. Luckily, a week before I was due to go, I saw an commodity in the Guardian Weekend Magazine recommending the all-time city hangouts in Amsterdam. One of them was a eating house called Lab 111. I asked effectually a few of my friends who know Amsterdam well and it had some mixed reviews. I decided to exam it out for myself.

image

Then on Fri night, my friends and I walked downwards Kinkerstraat into the Oud-West commune of Amsterdam. We turned into Nicolaas Beetsstraat so onto Arie Biemondstraat. Lab 111 is (very well) hidden within an artist complex called Smart Project Space, a cultural centre offering a continuously changing programme of exhibitions and events. This is very easy to miss! It is a very residential surface area and there is no way I would have stumbled across it had I non read about it in the Guardian.

image

Nosotros gingerly walked in. It didn't await at all like a restaurant…more than like a school. Just as before long every bit you lot walk through the doors, y'all see a large room with a bar to the left and a a big green communal table underneath what looked similar medical operating theatre lights.

image

Housed in a former anatomical pathology laboratory, the room of the restaurant used to be a classroom where medical students cut open corpses back in the old days.

What I particularly loved were the walls. They were covered in photographic images of drink bottles on stacked supermarket shelves.

image
image

As soon as we sat down we were greeted by our incredibly friendly waiter. As it was our first dark in Amsterdam, we ordered a bottle of Prosecco as we looked over the carte du jour. The waiter then poured some outstandingly good olive oil into a saucer in front of u.s.a. which we dipped our bread into. I asked the waiter where information technology was from and he gave me a booklet with all the details so I could society information technology online. Information technology was stunning. Actually grassy and full of season. I was impressed already.

image

Looking at the bill of fare, i dish jumped out at everyone… smoked kangaroo with sweet murphy, sauerkraut salad and sage-mustard dressing.

I wanted to endeavor it simply wasn't sure I wanted the whole dish so one time I was happy that iii of the girls were going for the kangaroo and I knew I'd go at least one bite of information technology, I ordered the ravioli with ricotta, artichoke, parmesan and pommodori-tarragon-sauce.

image

This was very nice merely a little heavy on the tarragon for me. I ordered information technology because I love artichoke only the flavour of the tarragon overpowered everything else unfortunately. Information technology certainly wasn't unpleasant…the pasta was as light as air, the tomato sauce was delicious, and if I loved tarragon, it would take been a winner.

However, information technology turned out that the kangaroo dish was the dish of the night….in fact, the whole weekend! We were talking about information technology days later.

image

This was a wonderful dish. The meat itself was very smoky, rich and then, so tender. It melted in your mouth. The sweet potato complimented it beautifully, as did the mustard in the dressing. Everything balanced perfectly. I was gutted I hadn't ordered this myself. Luckily, I have very generous friends who kept offering me bites of theirs.

Kate opted for the cod fritters with wakame salad and paprika ketchup.

image

I actually liked this likewise. Full of flavour, y'all could really gustation the cod and the paprika ketchup sauce on the side really spiced it up.

For the main grade, Claire went for the full-sized version of my ravioli starter. She also thought information technology was a fleck heavy on the tarragon. Carmen and Faiza ordered steak with potato, romanesco and garlic-thyme-gravy…

image

I didn't try this but was bodacious that it was succulent. Tender juicy cuts of sirloin and a beautiful rich sauce. Kate and I went for breast of duck with purslane stew, rhubarb compote and lavander gravy…

image
image

I loved this. The duck was beautifully cooked, and the sugariness of the rhubarb compote was a perfect pairing. I I would never have thought of earlier. The lavander gravy took it up to some other level entirely. I thought this was a wonderful dish.

Once we'd finished our mains we asked for a fleck of time earlier having pudding. The DJ was playing some actually good tunes, we had some bully wine on the get and we were enjoying the atmosphere.

image
image
image

Once we were ready, I ordered the cheesecake and the girls went for the cheese plates which came with a quince jelly.

image
image

The cheesecake was delicious. Dumbo notwithstanding non heavy, rich but non sickly. The beige base of operations was perfectly crumbly, the cheese had the perfect amount of vanilla. It was lovely. I left the girls to cease off the cheese plate.

Overall, we all had a fantastic night. The waiters were incredibly friendly, knowledgeable, attentive and efficient. The food was wonderful and the place has a great atmosphere, with great music playing through the night. I'm so glad I read nearly it because if I hadn't, I would never have found it. Its a bit off the normal tourist track but if you are planning on going to Amsterdam, please add information technology to your list of places to get.


Lab 111, Arie Biemondstraat 111, 1054 PD Amsterdam
Tel: +31 (0)20 616 9994
www.lab111.nl

Twitter: @mediacafelab111
Facebook: world wide web.facebook.com/LAB111

Cocoa powder to snort…Metropolitan Deli, Amsterdam  http://metropolitandeli.tumblr.com/

DUCKSOUP, SOHO

A couple of weeks ago, my practiced friend Claire and I met up for a catch-up. She asked me where I wanted to swallow and I suggested Ducksoup on Dean Street, Soho.

I've been once, merely just briefly while I was waiting for another friend to proceed elsewhere. I actually wanted to endeavour it out properly.

Ducksoup, which opened late last year, is the brainwave of chef Julian Biggs, helped by Clare Lattin and Rory McCoy, all hailing from Mark Hix's Oyster & Chop House.

This is a absurd little eating house. Nearly of the seating is around the bar with a few tables along the wall. Anybody pretty much sits on top of i another so don't expect too much privacy! Personally I quite like this. It adds to the atmosphere of the identify and more ofttimes that not, I usually finish upward meeting really interesting people this fashion.

image

I arrived at half-dozen.30pm and just managed to nab the very final table for 2. They don't take bookings (I tin't remember the terminal time I was able to book a table in a eatery!) so y'all need to get there early on. It was a roasting hot twenty-four hour period and so they had the windows open into the street.

image

Ducksoup was buzzing with noise, free energy and atmosphere as I walked in. That could exist because us Brits are always incredibly excited when the sunday comes out. The restaurant was packed with people perched at the bar and the tables inside and out were full.

image

The decor inside is simple and unpretentious. The vino list (all natural wines) is scrawled across the white tiled walls.

image

Every bit you walk through the door y'all pass a turn-tabular array and a stack of records. The eating house has a BYO policy - bring your ain vinyl! Fantastic idea.

image

The menu is updated every twenty-four hour period which I like. I love that you know you're getting seasonal, fresh ingredients each time. It also keeps you lot on your toes and information technology makes you keep coming back. The hand-written menu is divided into sections…small 'bar' plates and more than substantial 'kitchen' plates.

image
image

As I was waiting for Claire to plough up, I ordered a cold, crisp glass of white wine and the salami toscano (£6)…

image
image

The salami was delicious. It melted in your mouth. But for £1 per slice, it seemed a tad overpriced!

When Claire arrived we decided to order a few plates to share. The chopped pancetta on rosemary toast (£six) jumped out at usa.

image

I loved this. Crunchy sourdough toast topped with fried onions and pancetta and lots of rosemary. Stiff, punchy flavours. Delicious.

Next to arrive, the grilled sardines and pine nut tarator (£7)….

image

Claire loved these. I don't mind sardines, I but don't like picayune with my food, checking it for bones etc. I'g too impatient. They were very squeamish, I just wouldn't ordinarily club them. The pine nut tarator was wonderful though.

Adjacent up, beautiful fresh, in season asparagus, topped with Guanciale and a poached egg (£vii)…

image
image

Finally, quail on fried staff of life, onions and a brandy sauce.

image
image

I loved this, although the quail looked rather too much like a women laid back with her legs crossed! She tasted delicious though! The quail was juicy and tender, the sweetness and the softness of the onions was cute against the crunchy toast while the brandy sauce brought it all together. Gorgeous.

I ummed and ahhed at having a pudding. They had Torta di Nonna on the carte which is one of my favourite desserts, only nosotros decided to social club some more wine instead. Next time…

I liked Ducksoup a lot. Its decorated, crowded, total of atmosphere, the staff are friendly and knowledgeable, and they offering upwards not bad nutrient. The turn tabular array delivered united states of america some classic Joe Cocker and Stevie Wonder the night we were there simply that volition patently change mean solar day to day. And with their e'er-changing menu, I know i'll definitely be dorsum.


Ducksoup, 41 Dean Street, London, W1D 4PY
Tel: 020 72874599

http://world wide web.ducksoupsoho.co.uk
@ducksoupsoho

The carte is printed on Tumblr every day - http://ducksoupsoho.tumblr.com/

Paul Ryan and Heath Massi's Hymeneals, Kensington Roof Gardens, London.

WHAT'S IN Flavour… JUNE

June is one of my favourite months. Information technology signals the beginning of summer, plus my altogether is in June and, as much as I seem to choke when I have to say my age these days, I honey my birthday celebrations and getting all my friends together. This year we're all going to Amsterdam for a long weekend and I can't look!

Anyway, dorsum to food. June is usually, fingers crossed, packed with sunshine and what's in flavor reflects that. This year the weather looked promising, with a 2 week estrus-wave at the end of May, merely as before long as we got to June, the sunday disappeared and the grey skies and pelting returned. How typically British!

Weather aside, to me, June means one affair…strawberries.

image

I love strawberries. They make me think of lazy days lying in the park, or watching Wimbledon. What's more than delicious than a ripe strawberry picked straight from the found on a hot summer's day? When I was a lilliputian girl, my mum used to take my brothers and I fruit picking. Although I did more eating than anything else. One year, subsequently a full mean solar day of fruit picking, we arrived at the scales to weigh what we'd picked, and the man, who saw the strawberry-reddish stains all around my oral cavity, promptly picked me up and placed me on the scales instead of my half-filled bowl! Whoops!

British strawberries are perfect in June, with their alluring sweet odor and their succulent juiciness. I don't think there are many things better than strawberries sprinkled with a little caster sugar and dipped into thick whipped foam. My mouth is watering just thinking most it!

This is also the season for gooseberries.

image

Gooseberries aren't equally stylish as they were in the 19th century when gooseberry wine, tarts, fools, pies and puddings were all common place. The gooseberry was in one case a much celebrated fruit but nowadays the gooseberry has become a much forgotten wonder of the past, which is a shame.

Also equally the more traditional uses for gooseberries like pies, tarts and fools they tin can exist used in more adventurous means, such as cooking them downwardly with some saccharide and serving them with a pork chops/roast instead of apple puree/sauce. Delicious!

Early in the flavour they are bright greenish, with a veined effect on the skin, and quite difficult and tart - they are best for cooking with, in particular to make the archetype English pudding, gooseberry fool. Later on, softer, sweeter varieties become available, frequently yellow or carmine coloured - and these are lovely eaten raw.

And onto i of my favourite foods….tomatoes.

image

I adore tomatoes and swallow a punnet of cherry tomatoes a day. I always accept them on my desk at work and eat them like sweets! Tomatoes are technically, (botanically) a fruit, but their affinity for other savoury ingredients means that they are usually classed as a vegetable.

Tomatoes vary in size from the huge beefsteak to tiny cherry tomatoes, only most have a sweet, gently tangy flavor and are skillful both raw and cooked. The sooner you eat a ripe lycopersicon esculentum afterward it'due south been picked, the better it will taste, so effort to seek out locally grown tomatoes if possible.

Tomatoes are probably ane of the most versatile ingredients. You can do so much with them. The type of tomato you purchase depends on what yous intend to exercise with information technology. Here's a run-downwards of some of the near mutual types….

Beefsteak: these are the biggest tomatoes, and take a meaty texture with a sweet, mellow season. They are adept for salads, grilling or stuffing.

Salad (or circular): this is the traditional British tomato plant - it's a adept all rounder, but really needs to exist ripe to go the best flavour.

Cerise: small and very sweet, cherry tomatoes are pricier than salad tomatoes just their intense flavour is worth the extra greenbacks. They are good in salads, pasta sauces or roasted.

Plum: Available as a infant or full-grown tomato, plum tomatoes take an oval shape, with a rich flavour and comparatively few seeds. Good for making sauces and stews.

Green: there are two types of greenish tomato. I is unripe, and is quite tart but good for chutneys, or fried. The other is a multifariousness that stays green when ripe, has a tangy flavor and is practiced in salads or, again, fried.

Yellow: these ripen to a golden yellow colour, and are good in salads, salsas and chutneys.

NEVER proceed tomatoes in the fridge. The common cold temperature dulls the flavour so they should be stored at room temperature.

Also coming into season are broad beans.

image

Broad Beans, or fava beans as they're known in the Us, are a bully source of protein and carbohydrates, also as vitamins A, B1 and B2.

Buy broad beans as fresh as possible, when the pods are house and crisp. They are beautiful steamed or boiled and served with a sprinkling of sea salt. Once they are cooked, just slit each pod along its seam and run your thumb along the furry inside to button the beans out.

Alternatively you can mash them and serve them on crusty staff of life, or serve as a side dish. Or yous can add them to soups. They are and so versatile there are countless ways yous tin can piece of work with them.

VEGETABLES
Asparagus, broad beans, carrots, cauliflower, lettuce, new potatoes, peas, radishes, rocket, sorrel, leap onions, watercress.

FRUIT
Strawberries, elderflowers, cherries, gooseberries, redcurrants, rhubarb.

MEAT & GAME
Beef, chicken, guinea fowl, lamb, pork, quail, wood pigeon.

FISH
Crab, crayfish, Dover sole, grey mullet, halibut, herring, lemon sole, mackerel, plaice, pollack, bounding main bass, ocean trout.

Please try to consume seasonally if y'all can. Foods in flavour contain the nutrients and minerals that our bodies need at particular times of the year. Its too a nifty way to support British farmers and it keeps the carbon footprint downward. Plus, the foods should also be cheaper.

Hurray! My mini Jubilee cupcakes made it onto the Good Food Channel's baking gallery!  http://uktv.co.uk/food/gallery/aid/652619#56759_spoonful-of-sugar

CHARBONNEL ET WALKER'Southward JUBILEE Commemoration

image

Unless you've been living under a rock of late, you will probably have noticed that over the last week or then, Britain has been having a right good knees-up to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. A couple of weeks ago, I posted photos of my own Jubilee party (http://fleck.ly/LkIrBq) and luckily for me, someone at the renowned chocolatier Charbonnel et Walker, saw information technology, liked it and consequently sent me an invitation to their very own Jubilee celebration!

Then last Thursday, my friend Cassie and I arrived at their Old Bond Street store in London's Mayfair and were warmly greeted with a smile and a glass of champagne.

image

The shop had been thoroughly decked out in bunting and Jubilee-inspired gift boxes…

image
image
image
image
image
image

And even a chocolate crown!

image

At that place was an infectious atmosphere of excitement and anticipation equally everyone mingled together. With the champagne flowing and spirits high, the Former Bond Street Managing director, Adam Lee, addressed the room and welcomed us all, giving us a fleck of background information about the Charbonnel et Walker brand.

image

I already knew of the brand and have enjoyed their chocolates in the past, but I had no thought how rich the history was.

image

To give y'all a little of the history…Charbonnel et Walker was founded in 1875 and is one of U.k.'due south earliest chocolatiers. It is also endorsed by the Regal warrant every bit the official chocolate manufacturers to the Queen.

The company offset formed as a partnership between Mrs Walker and Mme. Charbonnel, the latter from the Maison Boissier chocolate house in Paris. Their original shop opened at 173 New Bond Street in Mayfair and has remained in Bond Street always since.

Charbonnel et Walker's exquisite chocolates are hand-fabricated co-ordinate to traditional recipes in their factory in Tunbridge Wells. Their hand-made boxes and satin ribbons are immediately recognisable and brand an ideal souvenir.

image

Adam explained that their all-time-selling chocolate is the Pink Marc de Champagne Truffles. I have had these many times before and they're incredible.

image

These consist of a milk chocolate, butter and Marc de Champagne center with a white chocolate shell and a lite dusting of icing saccharide. Melt-in-the-mouth deliciousness.

image
image
image

We were also treated to the night chocolate version although I preferred the milk version.

We also tried their classic milk truffles…

image
image

And their night chocolates dusted in cocoa. I personally admire dark chocolate and then the dark ones were my favourite. Intense, rich, smooth…perfect.

So nosotros moved onto their world-renowned speciality…English language Rose & Violet Creams (plain a favourite of the Queen and the Queen Mother!)

Busy with a crystallised rose or violet leafage, the fondant creams are infused with rose or violet oil and coated in dark chocolate. Likewise equally the fondant creams, we were besides given rose and violet truffles…

image
image
image

I was surprised how much I liked the Rose creams. I'm not normally a fan of fragrant chocolates only these were and so delicately fragrant, and so smooth, they were wonderful. I wasn't as big a fan of the Violet ones just that is purely a personal thing. Everyone else seemed to love them. I've merely never been a fan of Violet.

Side by side we were offered to taste some chocolates that are in development. Starting with the sublime Creamed Coconut encased in dark chocolate. I loved this one.

image

Next up was Passion fruit Cream. This was light and tangy and lovely, simply not as good as the coconut. Again, this is purely a thing of personal taste.

image

Then…the k finale. Clearly they had left the best til last…Bounding main Salt Caramel Truffles.

image

Wow! As you bite into the milk chocolate beat, yous're met with a liquid salted caramel eye. Bite into only one-half of it and you'll end upward in a mess, so this is best consumed whole. You can sense of taste the hint of salt, which stops the caramel truffle from being also sickly sweet. I could have eaten a lot more of these, they were admittedly divine.

To round off the evening, we were all guided to the back of the store where we were greeted with tea cups of Pimms!

image
image

Whilst strawberries dipped in chocolate were passed effectually.

image

Cassie and I had a thoroughly wonderful evening. What tin can exist better than an evening of chocolate truffles and champagne?! And we were even sent home with a goody bag containing the chocolate crown and a middle-shaped box of chocolate truffles! I went dwelling feeling slightly queasy (in a good way!) from all the chocolate and champagne but extremely happy.

image

Thank you so much Charbonnel et Walker for the invite!


Charbonnel et Walker,
I, The Imperial Arcade, 28 Sometime Bail Street, London, W1S 4BT
Tel: 020 7491 0939

www.charbonnel.co.uk (for more information on stores and stockists)
Twitter: @Charbonnel

* The height 2 photos are courtesy of the wonderful Cassie Bennitt (@Miss_Lola_Mae)

MILLIONAIRE SHORTBREAD

image

When I posted photos of my Jubilee party the other day (http://flake.ly/LkIrBq), I got a lot of people messaging me asking me how I made my millionaire shortbread so here is my very uncomplicated recipe…

INGREDIENTS

For the shortbread:
250g (eight.8oz) obviously flour
75g (2.6oz) caster sugar
175g (6.1oz) butter, softened

For the caramel:
100g (iii.5oz) butter or margarine
100g (iii.5oz) light muscavado sugar
2 x 397g (14oz) cans condensed milk
OR…2 cans of fix-made caramel.
Compression of sea table salt flakes (optional)

For the topping:
200g (7oz) chocolate (60/seventy%), broken into pieces. (This can be dark or milk chocolate. Personally, I recommend dark as the caramel is very sugariness and if y'all add together milk chocolate, the whole affair becomes sickly sweet. I used 64% cocoa solids.)

METHOD

Pre-rut the oven to 180'C/Gas mark 4. Lightly grease a 13 x 9inch (33x23cm) Swiss roll tin.

To brand the shortbread, mix the flour and pulley sugar in a bowl.

image

Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Knead the mixture together until it forms a dough.

image
image
image

Then press into the base of the prepared tin.

image
image

Prick the shortbread lightly with a fork.

image

And bake in the pre-heated oven for about twenty minutes or until firm to the touch and very lightly browned. Cool in the tin.

image

To make the caramel, measure the butter, carbohydrate and condensed milk into a pan and heat gently until the carbohydrate has dissolved. Bring to the boil, stirring all the time, so reduce the estrus and simmer very gently, stirring continuously, for nigh 5 minutes or until the mixture has thickened slightly.

Or alternatively, go for the easy route and buy some ready-made caramel!

image

Pour over the shortbread and leave to cool. (You could sprinkle some ocean salt flakes over the tiptop of the caramel and stir it through so you lot have salted caramel)

image
image

For the topping, cook the chocolate slowly in a basin over a pan of hot water. Cascade over the cold caramel…

image
image

And identify in the fridge.

TIP: Keep an eye on the chocolate…when it starts to set, score the chocolate into the size yous want your squares to be. This makes information technology so much easier to cutting once its completely set. Otherwise you'll never be able to cut it into squares. Information technology will just crevice.

image

This made xx squares but the squares were quite big, considering how sweet it is. You could easily make your portions a lot smaller.

image
image

This is such a lovely sweetness treat…crunchy shortbread, soft, sweet gooey caramel and crisp, dark chocolate. What a wonderful combination!

MISHKIN'S & OPERA TAVERN, COVENT GARDEN

image

Final Wednesday, my all-time friend Carmen and I met upwardly for dinner. Nosotros've both been so busy lately we hadn't seen each other for a couple of weeks which is unusual for united states since we live round the corner from one another.

We wanted to take a dainty seize with teeth to eat later piece of work accompanied by lots of lovely wine. My friend Emerge had told me most Opera Tavern in Covent Garden. When I looked it up I realised information technology was correct next door to Mishkin's, 1 of my favourite restaurants. (http://bit.ly/KFb91i) Carmen has been wanting to go to Mishkin's for ages. So I booked u.s. a tabular array at Opera Tavern for 7.30pm, but to be condom, and figured that we'd go on, see what information technology was like, and if we didn't similar it we'd get to Mishkin's.

So nosotros met up outside Covent Garden tube station and got to Catherine Street for 7pm. We were too early for Opera Tavern so we popped into Mishkin'due south and sat at the bar, hoping for some nice gin cocktails. We were told we had to eat if we were going to drink alcohol so we ordered the baby spinach, roast red pepper, labneh & spiced pecan salad.

image
image

It was divine! The soft spinach with the sweet roasted pepper and onions worked so well with the smooth creaminess of the labneh. And the pecans gave it a lovely chip of texture. Finished off with a fantastic dressing, I would take been happy eating this all night. It really was 1 of the tastiest salads I've had in a restaurant.

We as well ordered a portion of deliciously well-baked and sweet onion rings…perfect.

image

These were accompanied by beautifully refreshing Diamond Buzz cocktails…Beefeater gin, Prosecco and lemon.

image

Mishkin'southward cocktails are a little too good. I've had many cracking nights I tin can't fully recall, all because of their gin cocktails.

At 7.30pm. we paid upwardly at Mishkin's and headed next door to Opera Tavern.

image

Initially they seated usa upstairs but we asked if there might be a possibility of table exterior since it was such a lovely hot evening. We were in luck! A table had become bachelor and we were moved correct away.

The very friendly waitress talked us through the menu. My optics immediately went to the Courgette Flowers Blimp with Goats' Cheese and Drizzled with Honey…

image

Absolutely delicious. The well-baked petals of the flower provided a delightful dissimilarity to the smoothen, creaminess of the tangy goats cheese. The beloved added a beautiful rich sweetness to it.

Adjacent came the Chargrilled Beef Underblade Fillet with Watercress Purée, Gorgonzola and Portobello Mushrooms…

image

This was Carmen'due south dish. I like a seize with teeth of steak but I can't eat a lot of it. Served on a piece of slate, the beefiness was thinly sliced and cooked medium rare, and it was and then tender it melted on your natural language. The addition of the gorgonzola gave information technology richness and depth and the mushrooms, an earthiness. It was a lovely dish but for me, likewise heavy for such a hot evening.

Adjacent up was my Mini Ibérico Pork and Foie Gras Burger. I was to-ing and fro-ing between ordering this and ordering the Chorizo with Piquillo and Marjoram simply the waitress recommended the burger very highly so I took her advice. And male child, was I happy that I did!

image

It was the perfect size for me. I don't like huge burgers. I find them a footling overwhelming. This was perfect. But let me assure y'all, it might me mini in size but its large on taste.

image

With soft sweet peppers on the lesser, the burger was cooked medium rare over a grill with the foie gras mixed through the pork. The foie gras adds a rich velvety texture to the burger. Topped with aged manchego cheese and crispy onions, it was and so juicy, and so tender, I loved it.

image

I was pretty total by now but Carmen's meat banquet connected with her Moorish Marinated Ibérico Pork skewer which I think has harissa on top.

image

I just had a tiny bite of this since information technology was then small to begin with. It had a really strong chargrilled taste to it which I loved and the pork itself was incredibly moist.

And concluding simply non least, the Chargrilled Jump Lamb Cutlet with Smoked Garlic Purée, Tomato, Courgette and Cumin.

image
image

Again, this was Carmen's. I'm not a huge lover of lamb and then I had the tiniest piece of it. I must say, these guys really know how to melt their meat. Once once more, it was soft, tender and juicy and I loved the smoked garlic purée that came with it, although Carmen wasn't a fan.

We were too full for pudding then we only ordered some more wine and enjoyed the astonishing music that was pumping out from Mishkin'southward next door, who seemed to be enjoying a bit of a 70s disco vibe. Equally I danced in my seat to Donna Summer's I Feel Beloved and Le Freak by Chichi, Carmen and I caught up on all the gossip and enjoyed being able to sit outside in the warm night air. It actually was a wonderful night. Made fifty-fifty more wonderful when John Torode, chef and presenter of Masterchef, walked out the eating place and stood right next to u.s. with his friends. Carmen, who was feeling super confident due to the amount of wine she'd consumed by this point, was about to walk over and introduce herself and tell him that I loved him. Not her, me! Luckily I managed to finish her just as he walked back into the eating house and our pecker came.

We jumped in a taxi as Carmen was complaining of stomach ache. Cypher to do with the quality of the food, just more than to do with the fact that she'd eaten pork, lamb and beefiness in 1 sitting! I'm sure eating 3 different types of meat in i repast can't be good for you.

Both restaurants were great. Mishkin's really is fantastic and its fast becoming 1 of my regular haunts, for the gin cocktails if nothing else! Opera Tavern's friendly and knowledgeable staff served terrific food and groovy wine. What can be improve than that?

If y'all're in Covent Garden, have a trip to Catherine Street. Whichever eating house you go in to, you're sure of a fantastic meal.


Mishkin's: 25 Catherine Street, London, WC2B 5JS
Tel: 020 7240 2078
http://mishkins.co.uk
Twitter: @MishkinsWC2

Opera Tavern: 23 Catherine Street, London, WC2B 5JS
Tel: 020 7836 3680
http://www.operatavern.co.britain/

Marriage JACK JUBILEE Cake

image

As y'all tin can see from my previous mail (http://aspoonful-of-saccharide.tumblr.com/post/23988253300/diamond-jubilee-party), I made a Union Jack block for my Jubilee party at the weekend. I've had quite a lot of requests from people asking how I made it, then here goes!

INGREDIENTS
For the sponge:
350g (12oz) soft margarine (I used Stork)
350g (12oz) caster sugar
450g (1lb) self-raising flour
1½tsp baking pulverization
6 medium eggs, beaten

To decorate:
600ml double/heavy cream
340g jar strawberry jam
Strawberries, raspberries and blueberries - the amounts really depend on what y'all can find. I think I used about 200g of strawberries, sliced in half, about 20 raspberries and a handful of blueberries but information technology really does depend on the size of the blueberries.

METHOD
Kickoff by laying out your weighed ingredients…

image

Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas Marking four. Line the base and sides of a 30 x xx x 5 cm/12 x eight x 2 inch rectangular cake tin can (or roasting tin with the same base measurement) with a large piece of non-stick baking paper, snip diagonally into the corners then press the newspaper into the tin so that the base and sides are lined and the paper stands a little higher up the top of the tin sides.

Cream the soft margarine and sugar together in a bowl or food processor until light and fluffy.

image
image

Mix the flour and baking powder together then gradually mix in alternate spoonfuls of egg then flour until both accept all been added and the mixture is smoothen.

image
image
image
image

Spoon the cake mixture into the lined tin.

image
image
image

Bake for xl-45 minutes until the cake is well risen, gilded chocolate-brown and a skewer comes out cleanly when inserted into the center of the block. Exit to cool for a few minutes and then invert the cake on to a wire rack, remove the tin can and leave to absurd.

image
image
image

Once the sponge has completely cooled, carefully slice the sponge in half. You need a apartment meridian for this cake so I sliced a very thin slice off the top and made that the bottom, then the original bottom of the cake could be used on the top. (I hope that makes sense!)

image

Spread strawberry jam over the block.

image

And top with the whipped double/heavy cream and spread it over the jam, making sure y'all reach the edges and the corners.

image
image

Place the other half of the sponge on top then spread the rest of the whipped cream on summit.

image

Add together the strawberries in a cross… (The English language flag)

image
image

So add the strawberries out to the corners… (to represent the St Patrick'southward Saltire for Northern Republic of ireland)

image

Then fill in the rest with blueberries… (to represent Scotland!) And Voila! You have the Wedlock Jack which represents the United kingdom of great britain and northern ireland.

image
image

I then added some amazing Imperial popular tops that my mum sent me! (You tin buy them hither - http://amzn.to/LABrTF but you can get these in near shops at the moment)…

image
image

This is such a lovely cake. It tasted succulent plus its a smashing heart piece for a Jubilee party!

tranhaday1969.blogspot.com

Source: https://aspoonful-of-sugar.tumblr.com/

0 Response to "Tumblr Grapes Are Easy to Acquire and Easy to Eat"

Post a Comment

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel